Saturday, February 21, 2009

Not A Shopaholic Retail Challenge

As someone who has lost their job as a result of this financial and economic crisis, I get very worried when I hear that people out there are spending less money or not spending any money at all. Now, I'm not a professor of economics but I wonder how we will ever get out of this mess if no one is spending any money.
I was joking around with someone not to long ago, saying that I am the wrong person to be unemployed at this time. If I had a job, I would definitely be spending money. Maybe not as much as usual, but I would be out there, supporting the retailers. Unfortunately, I cannot do this which is why I am issuing this Retail Challenge to all of you. For those of you who are employed, I challenge you to go out and spend $100 a month in retail stores, in restaurants, at the movies, anywhere you choose. If half of the Canadian population* spent $100 every month, that would generate $1 660 634 800 into the Canadian economy. If $100 is too much, spend $50 or whatever you can afford. Anything is better than nothing.
As for myself, I pledge to spend $1000 in retail stores when I get a job again. True to my blog, I will do my best to spend most of it in unique, independent retailers. And I will document my purchases and the stores here on my blog. I look forward to the day when that becomes a reality.
Until then, go forth and shop. Let me know what you are spending your money on. I would be happy to share your stories as future blog posts.

*Source of Canadian Population: CIA-The World Factbook-Canada
Canadian Population July 2008-33,212,696

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to build a shrine in your honor.

As someone who once owned an independent retail boutique, and now consults, speaks, and writes on the topic, I can’t stress strongly enough how laser-accurate your statements are. While I understand (and to a degree, share) the fear of letting even one penny go that might otherwise stay in my pocket, the reality is that without locally owned retailers, our communities suffer greatly through:
• Lower commercial property tax revenue
• Less employment (meaning less employment tax revenue and a los of additional expendable income for the employee)
• Decreased property values as bustling areas become empty shells littered with “for lease” signs

There’s no more determined soul than the independent retailer, who lives, eats, and breathes for the purpose of serving their customers. I applaud you efforts to support them as they support us, even during these most challenging times.

Now...off to link to your blog from mine so more folks can read such sage advice.

All the best,

Cinda Baxter
AlwaysUpward.com/blog

Anonymous said...

The past 3 weeks I have spent $100 a week at restaurants, the movies, cafes, entertainment etc. I am certainly doing my part (to the delight of my credit card company). :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Cinda. Cinda is actively pursuing her 3/50 project, also designed around getting customers to spend money in stores.
And I can always count on Maria to help out the economy.
We are not out of the woods yet. We still need to help out retailers by spending, but spend wisely.
Good luck everyone.
Thanks so much for reading.